- Historical Sites and Heritage Locations
- Parks and Gardens
- Natural Attractions
Right at the foot of Mount Hotham and Mount Feathertop, 25 km from Bright at the end of the valley stretch of the B500 Great Alpine Road, this picturesque town is an ideal all-season holiday destination.
In winter its proximity to the Hotham (30km away) and Falls Creek (75km) ski resorts make it an accessible and affordable base for lovers of all kinds of snow sports. There are many accommodation options to suit any budget and ski gear may be hired and lift tickets purchased here.
During the ‘green’ seasons, Harrietville is a perfect place to enjoy the great outdoors. Hikers and cyclists are drawn to the challenging mountain roads and trails in and around the town, but this scenic village by the Ovens River is also a fantastic place to simply relax and shrug off the stresses of city life.
Harrietville was originally a pastoral property named for Harriet Tisdale, one of the few European women living in the area in the mid-19th century. The town boomed after rich gold discoveries were made in 1852 and the legacy of the gold seekers is evident today in the landscape shaped by mining.
Top 10 Must Do
1. Walk the 30 minute trail around Tronoh Dredge or for a greater challenge experience mountain majesty hiking the Bon Accord or Bungalow Spur Tracks to Mount Feathertop from Harrietville.
2. Australia’s annual national bluegrass & old time music festival: mountaingrass.com.au
3. Cycling to Mount Hotham as part of the 7 Peaks Ride
4. Delve into local history at the Harrietville Museum
5. Try a delicious home-made ice cream at Morries
6. Try your luck fishing or give yourself a better chance at the local trout farm
7. Tuck into afternoon tea at the Lavender Hue Farm
8. Settle in at Avalon House for dinner on the deck
9. Let the kids loose in the fantastic local playground
10. Pick succulent summer berries at the Harrietville Blueberry Farm