If you are unfamiliar with driving in snow and icy conditions, consider an easier option and take the bus.
Mount Hotham and Dinner Plain
O’Connell’s offer a community bus service from Bright and Harrietville to Hotham from $9.20 return for adults. Days and seating is limited so book early. www.omeobus.com.au
Snowball Express offers buses to Mount Hotham www.snowballexpress.com.au
Falls Creek Coach Service offers buses to Falls Creek www.fallscreekcoachswervice.com.au
All vehicles parking at Falls Creek or Mount Hotham are required to pay a resort entry fee. Visitors to Mount Buffalo and Dinner Plain do not incur this fee – parking is FREE.
The cheapest option is public transport, as listed below;
- Take the bus, resort entry only $18 per person and $8 per child, under 5’s are free. (and you don’t have to hire chains!)
- If driving your own vehicle $49.50, be sure to pre-purchase resort entry online before driving up the hill and save $4.50 per car.
- If you arrive after 1pm the day rate is ½ price. Arrive after 4pm and your first day is FREE.
- Take the bus, resort entry only $17 per person and $7.50 per child (and you don’t have to hire chains!)
- If driving your own vehicle $51, be sure to pre purchase resort entry fee online before driving up the hill and save $5 per car.
SNOW CHAIN HIRE
If you are traveling to Falls Creek , Mount Hotham or Dinner Plain it is a legal requirement to carry snow chains that can be fitted to your vehicle to prevent slipping on the icy or snow covered roads. Signage will make you aware if and when to fit chains. Snow chains can be hired from a number of outlets in the valley. The shop will show you how to fit them at the time of hire.
When travelling to Mount Buffalo vehicles do not always have to carry snow chains. Please check on the Mount Buffalo snow report to find out if you have to carry chains on the day you are travelling.
If you are travelling to Mount Hotham, Hoy’s Ski Shop has a chain fitting service on the road side that can fit your chains for you. This is a free service if you hire your chains from their shop in Harrietville.
CLOTHING AND GEAR
To make your visit to the snow as fun as possible, we recommend wearing the correct clothing, suitable for the alpine conditions, warm and waterproof. Sturdy waterproof shoes are essential. Weather conditions can change quickly on the mountains, and can be unpleasant if you are unprepared. Be particularly mindful that small children remain warm and dry. Helmets are strongly recommended for all ski and snowboarding activities.
There are a number of shops that hire all the gear you need and are happy to help with any queries. Shops are located in Myrtleford, Mount Beauty, Porepunkah, Harrietville and Bright, as well as on the mountains.